Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Awakening




Let me introduce myself, you can call me Yoko, or rather my friends and family do.  I've been given many nicknames, but that is the one that I am most entertained by.  I was given the nickname by my step-daughter's friend years ago when she took a picture of my husband and said he looked like John Lennon, I became Yoko at that moment.  I live in the middle of nowhere in small town America.  I turned 30 last September and decided that time has not slowed down any and that there are certain goals and tasks that I want to accomplish in my life, and this blog will showcase my progress towards those goals.  Time will wait for no man, or woman in my case.  Now onto the cast of characters.  My husband and I have been married for 11 years.  My husband is significantly older than I am and after the death of my father-in-law we moved in with my mother-in-law to take care of her.  My mother-in-law has dementia and is not safe to live alone, the only alternative was a nursing home, and she's not ready for that stage yet.  This last December my husband and I began the process of adopting a little girl, she's 4 and has been such a blessing in our lives.  My husband and I also suffer from some chronic health conditions that we work our lives around.  In many ways we're typical American family, but in other ways we're very atypical.  For instance; my husband quit working to take care of his mother and our daughter so I am the source of income in my family.  We have two dogs, chickens, my mother-in-law's cat and a beta fish as pets.  I work the swing shift at my job and so given our schedule our day normally starts at 0700 and goes until midnight.  Given that most of my working career has been working either swing or night shifts as I am night owl by nature the Moonflower seemed the most appropriate flower for an icon.  A beautiful white vining flower that opens at dusk and stays open throughout the night, closing it's petals midmorning.  A few of my goals that I want to accomplish:  Improving my health through running as I just bought a treadmill, remodeling my bedroom, writing a novel that I have been plugging away at for years, learning how to write grants for extra denero and landscaping the yard.  I'm sure the rest of my goals will be accomplished, but these are enough to start with.  I plan to post once a week to update everyone on my many schemes, shenanigans, aka plans.  Welcome to my crazy world; we'll have such a fun time together.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment